Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Plan Tiger Butterfly Laid Eggs

This time I was having a dose of my post-breakfast coffee when I went near the pond.  I happened to observe the Plain Tiger fluttering about, sitting on a plant for a second and changing its place to other spots, but it was coming often to the Asclepias plants where quite a few of these had emerged from the chrysalis. Now the Asclepias plants - I have four young plants - are throwing up new leaves after those caterpillars completely devoured all the leaves. 



I noticed that this Plain Tiger when it was sitting on the edge of leaves, it was curling its abdomen and touching the undersides with the tip.   I thought it must be laying eggs.




I went closer and examined one such leaf.  Lo and behold!  There was a tiny tiny egg.  


I carefully checked other leaves and there were many such tiny creamish eggs!  I saw it laying one on the stem.


That is the egg. 


The tiny new caterpillars that will come out will know food will be right there! New leaves are appearing.  They leave the eggs where food for the caterpillars will be available very close as they will be quite tiny.  

This is of course the female butterfly.  Note the 3 dark spots clearly visible here.  The male will have one more spot. See next picture of a male just emerged.



Another shot of  that female taking a pause between egg-laying flights. By this time, I had fully emptied my coffee.


I'll be watching the tiny eggs. 

1 comment:

  1. I respect your eye for detail and your appreciation for all the little miracles around you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be reviewed by the blog author before publishing.